To Mash, or not to Mash

According to a study conducted at the University of Nottingham in the UK, mashing your baby’s food is old school. Infants outgrowing a liquid diet who feed themselves finger foods rather than being spoon-fed purées are more likely to eat healthily and avoid getting fat during weaning, the study reports.

Researches found that technique known as “baby-led weaning” led to a child expressing a clear preference for pasta, rice and other carbohydrates over sweets, helping to cement a foundation for eating the right foods. 60% of 155 children in the study were allowed to feed themselves finger foods while the remaining 40% were spoon-fed puréed foods.

Despite the fact that infants in the spoon-fed group were offered more carbohydrates, fruit, vegetables and proteins, they wound up liking sweets more than self-fed children. The kids allowed to eat finger foods were more likely to in their correct weight bracket and less likely to be obese at the end of weaning.

Ref: Discovery magazine July 2012 | Issue 45

See also:
Eating – Not wanting to eat
Eating – Snacking: baby eating all the time

Babies 2-Pack Skyway Grow Vests
Buy here from Keedo +27 (0)81 885 4683 

*Important : The information provided is for information purposes only. No medical diagnosis or prescription can be inferred or is implied. Please consult your doctor for medical advice.

Stay updated on all things Baby & Toddler | Pregnancy, Birth, Baby, Toddlers